A selection of the best luxury hotels in Tuscany, Italy. A selection by Laura Becker
Hotel Certosa di Maggiano, an elegant boutique hotel situated in the heart of the Tuscan countryside, only two kilometres away from the iconic Piazza del Campo in Siena, offers unique accommodation, free internet and free parking. Built in 1314, the former monastery features an outdoor swimming pool, a tennis court and indoor lounges, designed by the renowned architect Renzo Mongiardino, with a free internet point. Each of the hotel’s rooms is a former monastic cell with a minibar. Guests are invited to take part in activities such as yoga, Pilates, Qi Gong and meditation, and can request a personal trainer. Breakfast is served either in an historic kitchen or outdoors under the pergola.
Rooms: 18 Stars: 4
Nestled in the hills of the Chianti region, Villa Le Calvane is a boutique hotel offering picturesque views and a seasonal infinity pool and hot tub. Relax in air-conditioned rooms featuring a flat-screen TV and private bathroom. Enjoy Tuscan cuisine in the on-site restaurant and sip local wine and olive oil produced on site. Free WiFi and private parking are available. Conveniently located to Florence and Montecatini Terme, the nearest airport is Florence Airport, just 17 km away. Experience the ultimate in luxury and relaxation at Villa Le Calvane.
Rooms: 12 Stars: 5
Nestled atop a cliff in Porto Ercole, on the stunning Monte Argentario Peninsula, the luxurious Il Pellicano Boutique Hotel provides a truly unique experience. Guests can enjoy a private rocky beach, a heated seawater swimming pool, a tennis court with personal trainer, air conditioned Tuscan rooms with flat-screen TVs, free Wi-Fi, minibars, satellite and pay-per-view channels, and a buffet breakfast. The hotel also offers two restaurants, the Michelin-starred Il Pellicano Gourmet Restaurant and the Pelligrill Restaurant with Tuscan cuisine and sea views. For a complete indulgence, the Pelliclub Health & Beauty wellness centre offers a fitness room, boutique and a range of massages and beauty treatments. The Argentario Golf Resort & Spa is just 3 km away.
Rooms: 47 Stars: 5
Locanda Le Piazze is a boutique hotel and former 16th-century farmhouse located 6 km from Castellina in Chianti. Nestled between Florence and Siena, it provides stunning views of the Tuscan countryside. Accommodations are air conditioned and feature flat-screen TVs and stocked minibars. An en suite bathroom provides a hairdryer. Enjoy a dip in the outdoor pool set in an olive grove and dine at the Tavola by Guido Haverkock restaurant, featuring organic local cuisine. Breakfast is served daily and parking is free.
Rooms: 20 Stars: 4
Il Borgo di Vescine is a boutique hotel located in the heart of Chianti Classico’s Gallo Nero area. Surrounded by vineyards and wine cellars, it is 600 metres above sea level and just 20 km from Siena and 42 from Florence. This 13th-century village has been preserved in its original mediaeval structure, and features a wine shop, a heated outdoor pool with panoramic views, and a restaurant serving Tuscan and Chianti cuisine. Guests can enjoy cooking courses and wine tasting sessions, as well as 21 rooms and 7 suites spread across the original houses of the Medieval hamlet, all with period furniture and views of the park. Free Wi-Fi is available in public areas.
Rooms: 27 Stars: 4
Escape to La Guardia Hotel, a luxurious boutique hotel located in Giglio Porto. This 4-star hotel offers a range of amenities, including a garden, shared lounge, terrace and restaurant. All rooms come with free WiFi, room service and a balcony with a breathtaking sea view. Enjoy a buffet breakfast and explore the area with bike hire. Hike and fish in the nearby area or take a short trip to Le Cannelle Beach or Arenella Beach, both only 1.3 km and 1.4 km away respectively. With a 24-hour front desk, La Guardia Hotel is the perfect place to relax and unwind.
Rooms: 29 Stars: 4
The hotel also offers car and bike rental services, and free public parking is available nearby. Enjoy a pleasant stay in this boutique hotel, where you can relax in the tranquil atmosphere and explore the charming city. Experience the best of both worlds, with traditional Tuscan hospitality and modern comforts.
Rooms: 21 Stars: 4
Best areas to find hotels in Tuscany, Italy
Tuscany is a beautiful region of Italy that is full of incredible sights, sounds, and experiences. Whether you’re looking for a luxurious stay or a more budget-friendly option, there are plenty of great places to stay in Tuscany. Here are some of the best areas to search for a hotel in Tuscany.
1. Florence: Florence is the capital of Tuscany, and it is full of incredible sights, sounds, and experiences. From the iconic Duomo to the Uffizi Gallery, there is no shortage of things to see and do. The city is also home to some of the best hotels in the region. Hotels like the Grand Hotel Cavour and the Grand Hotel Baglioni offer luxurious stays with easy access to the city’s main attractions.
2. Siena: Siena is a beautiful city in the heart of Tuscany. It is full of incredible sights and experiences, from the famous Piazza del Campo to the Palazzo Pubblico. Siena is also home to some of the region’s best hotels. The Grand Hotel Continental and the Hotel Certosa Di Maggiano offer luxurious stays with easy access to the city’s main attractions.
3. Chianti: Chianti is a region of Tuscany known for its rolling hills, vineyards, and olive groves. It is the perfect destination for those looking for a rural escape. The area is home to some of the best hotels in the region, including the Castello di Verrazzano and the Castello di Meleto. Both offer luxurious stays with easy access to the area’s stunning scenery and attractions.
4. San Gimignano: San Gimignano is a small hilltop town in Tuscany that is full of incredible sights and experiences. The town is known for its medieval towers and cobblestone streets, and it is home to some of the best hotels in the region. The Palazzo San Lorenzo and the Palazzo del Popolo offer luxurious stays with easy access to the town’s main attractions.
5. Montalcino: Montalcino is a small town in Tuscany that is home to some of the region’s best wines. It is also home to some of the best hotels in the region. Hotels like the Castello di Velona and the Locanda di Sotto il Monte offer luxurious stays with easy access to the town’s main attractions.
No matter what type of stay you’re looking for, there are plenty of great places to stay in Tuscany. From the iconic cities of Florence and Siena to the rural towns of Chianti and Montalcino, there is no shortage of great hotels to choose from.