A selection of the best luxury hotels in North Wales, UK. A selection by Laura Becker
Palé Hall is a luxurious 5 red star Relais Chateaux property, situated on the edge of Snowdonia National Park. This boutique hotel is highly elegant and unique; set in a Victorian manor house with 16 acres of tranquil gardens and parkland, near Bala in North Wales. Boasting 18 individually designed bedrooms in the main building and 4 garden suites, guests can expect stylish décor and views of the garden. The hotel also features a Michelin green star restaurant, which offers a menu of British and Welsh cuisine using local Welsh produce. Local activities such as fishing, shooting and horse riding are also available close by, near the River Dee.
Rooms: 22 Stars: 5
Built in 1925 by a visionary architect, Portmeirion Village & Castell Deudraeth is a boutique hotel situated on a private peninsula south of the coastal village of Porthmadog. It boasts an on-site spa, mini market, bar and award-winning restaurants. The brightly decorated rooms feature a TV, telephone, en suite bathroom and hairdryer. There’s free on-site parking, 24-hour front desk and WiFi. Guests can explore the surrounding woodland gardens and sandy beaches, or take a short drive to Snowdonia National Park, Caernarfon Castle and Llanfair Slate Caverns.
Rooms: 55 Stars: 4
For a luxurious stay in North Wales, the Tynedale is the perfect choice. Just steps away from the beach, it offers modern rooms, free private parking, and a host of evening entertainment. With flat-screen TVs, free tea and coffee and ironing facilities, the stylishly decorated rooms are great value. Located on Llandudno’s promenade, the pier is a short stroll away, and the local restaurants, bars, and train station are all within 5 minutes’ walk. Enjoy a delicious meal in the sleek restaurant and bar, with a menu of both classic and modern dishes.
Rooms: 52 Stars: 4
Experience a unique stay at Plas Maenan Country Hotel, set in a stunning location less than 2 miles from Dolgarrog. Enjoy stunning views from the large garden terrace or from the comfort of your room or suite. Each unit comes with a flat-screen TV and satellite and cable channels, as well as a CD/DVD player and tea/coffee facilities. Private bathrooms include a bathtub or shower, a hairdryer and free toiletries. Enjoy breakfast in the front conservatory, with views of Snowdonia and the Conwy River. The hotel also features a tea room, bar and free private parking. Take part in a range of activities nearby, such as hiking, cycling, golfing, horse riding and fishing. The hotel is 14 km from Conwy Castle and Llandudno and 66 km from Liverpool John Lennon Airport.
Rooms: 11 Stars: 5
Experience luxury in North Wales at the Tyddyn Llan boutique hotel. Relax and unwind in a tranquil setting surrounded by beautiful gardens and views of the Welsh hills. Enjoy the ultimate comfort of the individually designed bedrooms, complete with private bathrooms, Nespresso Coffee machines, TVs and DVD players. Savour top-notch seasonal cuisine from local estates and the Welsh coastline in the award-winning Michelin Star restaurant. Unwind in the comfortable lounges and bar with a fireplace and large sofas and sip tea on the terrace. Explore the nearby Snowdonia National Park, just a 5-minute drive away.
Rooms: 13 Stars: 5
Experience history and modern day comforts combined at The Castle Hotel, Conwy, North Wales. Set in a 300 year-old coaching inn, this historic property offers cosy rooms with period features, private bathrooms and views of Conwy Castle. Enjoy free parking, free WiFi and a range of food options in the public areas. Enjoy a delicious cooked breakfast, local ales and ciders, and a cocktail menu at Dawson’s Bar. Located a mile from Conwy Marina and just 300 metres from Conwy Castle, this hotel is the perfect base for exploring North Wales.
Rooms: 29 Stars: 4
Gwesty Gadlys Hotel is a 4-star accommodation located in the picturesque Cemaes Bay, just a stone’s throw away from the beautiful Traeth Mawr Beach. It offers a range of amenities, such as free WiFi, a bar, a restaurant, a garden, free private parking, a terrace and a children’s playground. All rooms are equipped with private bathrooms and come with bed linen, while some also feature a kitchen with a fridge. An à la carte, continental or Full English/Irish breakfast is served daily. Guests can enjoy a variety of outdoor activities, including hiking and fishing. Nearby attractions include Red Wharf Bay (24 km) and Beaumaris Castle (35 km). The nearest airport is Anglesey Airport, 24 km away.
Rooms: 14 Stars: 4
Craig-y-Dderwen is a perfect place to escape the hustle and bustle of everyday life and enjoy a peaceful, relaxing stay. Surrounded by 16 acres of tranquil woodland on the banks of the River Conwy, Craig-y-Dderwen is a 4-star gold award-winning Victorian country house. Ideal for those seeking a peaceful getaway, the hotel is just a 5-10 minute walk from the village of Betws-y-Coed, and offers free parking. Guests can take advantage of the spectacular views from their rooms, or the AA Rosette-quality cuisine at the Riverside Restaurant. With a choice of bars, each with its own atmosphere, there’s something to suit all tastes. Whether looking to relax in front of a real log fire, or admire the grounds, Craig-y-Dderwen provides the perfect opportunity to escape the stresses of everyday life, and embrace a truly calming atmosphere.
Rooms: 18 Stars: 4
The perfect destination for a romantic getaway, Tre-Ysgawen Hall provides the perfect backdrop for a relaxing and tranquil atmosphere. A short drive from the spectacular east coast of the island, this countryside hotel boasts a swimming pool, award-winning restaurant and spa. Unwind in the 16-metre pool, exercise in the air-conditioned gym, and indulge in the sauna, steam room, whirlpool and beauty/therapy suite. Surrounded by secluded gardens, meadows and woodland, this is the ideal spot to explore the area’s attractions such as Beaumaris Castle, Pas Newydd, Anglesey Sea Zoo and more. Make Tre-Ysgawen Hall your destination for a romantic getaway and bask in the tranquil atmosphere.
Rooms: 29 Stars: 4
Best areas to find hotels in North Wales, UK
North Wales is a stunning part of the UK, located in the north-western part of the country and boasting some of the most beautiful scenery in the UK. From its rugged mountains, rolling hills, and miles of coastline to its charming towns and villages, North Wales is an ideal destination for a relaxing break.
If you’re looking for a hotel in North Wales, there are plenty of options to choose from. Here are some of the best areas to search for a hotel:
1. Llandudno: Llandudno is a popular seaside resort on the north coast of Wales. It’s home to a variety of hotels, ranging from budget to luxury, so it’s the perfect place to stay if you’re looking for a relaxing break. There are plenty of activities to enjoy in Llandudno, such as its beautiful Victorian pier, the Great Orme Tramway, and the town’s sandy beach.
2. Snowdonia National Park: Snowdonia National Park is a stunning area of natural beauty, located in north-west Wales. It’s home to some of the most breathtaking scenery in the UK, and it’s the perfect place for a peaceful getaway. There are plenty of hotels in the park, ranging from small bed and breakfasts to large resorts.
3. Betws-y-Coed: Betws-y-Coed is a charming village in North Wales, located in the Conwy Valley. It’s home to a variety of hotels, from traditional inns to luxury resorts, so it’s the perfect place to stay if you’re looking for a relaxing break. There are plenty of activities to enjoy in Betws-y-Coed, such as its stunning waterfalls, the nearby Swallow Falls, and the beautiful Sychnant Pass.
4. Anglesey: Anglesey is an island off the north coast of Wales, and it’s home to some of the most beautiful scenery in the UK. It’s the perfect place for a relaxing break, and there are plenty of hotels to choose from, ranging from budget to luxury. There are plenty of activities to enjoy on Anglesey, such as its stunning beaches, the beautiful Menai Straits, and the historic Beaumaris Castle.
5. Conwy: Conwy is a charming town in North Wales, located on the banks of the River Conwy. It’s home to a variety of hotels, ranging from budget to luxury, so it’s the perfect place to stay if you’re looking for a relaxing break. There are plenty of activities to enjoy in Conwy, such as its beautiful medieval castle, the Conwy Suspension Bridge, and the bustling quayside.
No matter which area you choose to stay in, North Wales is sure to provide an unforgettable holiday experience. With its stunning scenery, charming towns, and plenty of activities to enjoy, there’s something for everyone in North Wales.