A selection of the best five star hotels in Canberra, Australia. A selection by Laura Becker
Situated in the upscale suburb of Barton, just steps away from Parliament House, Hotel Realm is a luxurious and comfortable hotel. With modern designs and stylish furnishings, the air-conditioned rooms come equipped with a work desk, flat-screen TV with both free in-room movies, cable and a digital concierge. The ensuite bathrooms offer free toiletries and a hairdryer. Hotel Realm offers a variety of amenities, including two day spas, two health clubs, a 25-metre lap pool, plunge pool, sauna facilities and five on-site restaurants. Guests can take advantage of the fully-equipped, state-of-the-art Evo Health Club or Hale Gym, located just a short walk away. Beauty, facial, or massage treatments can be enjoyed at Hale Spa or Mudd the Spa.
Rooms: 163 Stars: 5
Midnight Hotel, Autograph Collection is a luxurious and trendy hotel, located in the heart of Canberra. Opened in October 2019, this stylish hotel offers air-conditioned rooms with free WiFi, private parking, room service and a restaurant. Guests can also enjoy an indoor pool, 24-hour front desk, concierge service and currency exchange. A delicious à la carte, vegetarian or vegan breakfast is available. Located nearby are the Canberra Centre and National Convention Centre Canberra. Canberra Airport is 8 km away.
Rooms: 199 Stars: 5
Park Hyatt Canberra offers a luxurious stay in the heart of Australia’s capital city. Just 5 minutes’ drive from Parliament House and a 10-minute walk from the National Library, this delightful property has been restored to its 1920s glory, featuring Art Deco design elements. Enjoy opulent interiors, a sitting area, large work desk and marble bathroom with deep bathtub and separate shower. Take advantage of the state-of-the-art fitness centre with indoor swimming pool and sauna, afternoon tea in the guest lounge, free WiFi, 24-hour in-room dining and a 24-hour business centre. The Clubhouse also features personal trainers, massage services, spa pool, bike hire and a floodlit tennis court, while the Promenade Café provides a stylish and relaxed dining experience. Unwind in style at this 5-star hotel and enjoy a superb breakfast.
Rooms: 217 Stars: 5
Experience the wildest of adventures at Jamala Wildlife Lodge. Located next to the National Zoo and Aquarium, the lodge offers guided tours and accommodation alongside animal enclosures. Enjoy free WiFi and an outdoor pool, as well as African cuisine in the dining room. Bookings include a zoo tour experience, where you can see lions, tigers, cheetahs, bears, monkeys, giraffes and zebras. Overnight safari experiences are also available. Choose from private suites, rooms, bungalows and a tree house. All accommodation options are air-conditioned and feature private bathrooms, refrigerators, tea/coffee making facilities and flat-screen TVs with cable channels. Some rooms even have a spa bath or bathtub. Jamala Wildlife Lodge is 8 minutes’ drive from Manuka Oval, 10 minutes’ drive from central Canberra and the Australian War Memorial.
Rooms: 13 Stars: 5
Ovolo Nishi Canberra is one of the finest five-star hotels in the city, offering a charming boutique experience. With a superb interior design, 24/7 front desk, fitness centre and bar, it is only 5 minutes’ drive away from Parliament House and Floriade. All rooms feature flat-screen TV and some have fully equipped kitchens. The Canberra Museum and National Gallery of Australia are both 2 minutes away. Heated bathroom floors, hairdryer and bathrobes are all included in the accommodation. The concierge service and luggage storage facility add to the convenience. The lobby boasts a large open fireplace, plus the on-site vegetarian restaurant, Monster, is a great dining option.
Rooms: 85 Stars: 5
Nishi Apartments at NewActon is one of Canberra’s premier five-star hotels, located just two minutes’ drive from the city centre. With award-winning architecture and a private balcony, this eco-friendly apartment hotel offers free WiFi and a fitness centre. Guests can explore the city’s major attractions, such as Parliament House, the Floriade display, the Australian War Memorial and the National Gallery of Australia, which are all within a 10-minute drive. Inside the self-contained apartments, guests will find a fully-equipped kitchen, a dining area and laundry facilities. The contemporary furnishings and artwork have been selected by Australian and international designers, while the living area has a desk and a flat-screen TV. Enjoy comfortable temperatures all year round, thanks to the clever cross flow ventilation and floor heat retention.
Rooms: 40 Stars: 5
Best areas to find hotels in Canberra, Australia
When looking for the best places to stay in Canberra, Australia, there are a few key areas that are worth considering. Each of these areas offer a variety of accommodation options, from luxury resorts to budget-friendly hotels, as well as attractions and activities that can make any stay in the nation’s capital a memorable one.
1. City Centre – The City Centre of Canberra is the heart of the city and is home to many of the city’s most popular attractions. For those looking to stay in the city centre, there are a wide range of accommodation options available, including luxury resorts, boutique hotels, and family-friendly hotels. The City Centre is also home to many of the city’s top attractions, including the Parliament House, the National Gallery of Australia, and the Australian War Memorial.
2. Kingston – Kingston is a vibrant suburb located just south of the city centre. The area is known for its vibrant nightlife and cultural attractions, including the National Film and Sound Archive, the National Library of Australia, and the National Portrait Gallery. Accommodation options in Kingston range from luxury resorts to budget hotels, and the area is also home to a variety of restaurants, cafes, and bars.
3. Braddon – Braddon is a trendy neighbourhood located just north of the city centre. The area is home to a range of boutique shops, restaurants, and cafes, as well as a variety of accommodation options, from luxury resorts to budget-friendly hotels. Braddon is also home to the Canberra Centre, a large shopping centre that is home to a variety of stores and restaurants.
4. Barton – Barton is a residential neighbourhood located just east of the city centre. The area is home to a variety of accommodation options, from luxury resorts to budget-friendly hotels, as well as a range of restaurants, cafes, and bars. Barton is also home to the Australian National University, and the area is known for its vibrant nightlife.
5. Griffith – Griffith is a residential neighbourhood located just west of the city centre. The area is home to a variety of accommodation options, from luxury resorts to budget-friendly hotels, as well as a range of restaurants, cafes, and bars. Griffith is also home to the National Museum of Australia, and the area is known for its vibrant nightlife.
These are just a few of the best areas to search for a hotel in Canberra, Australia. Each of these areas offers a variety of accommodation options, as well as attractions and activities that can make any stay in Canberra a memorable one.